The 2012 Home Improvement Survey just published by HSBC shows a list of recommendations for home owners wanting to sell. It’s no surprise that top of the list is clutter clearing, which 93% of experts agree makes a difference.
- 93% advise decluttering
- 75% advise repairing paint chips or wallpaper
- 71% advise cutting the grass and trimming flower beds
- 64% advise repairing fences and gates
- 63% advise repainting or revarnishing the front door
- 44% advise cleaning windows
- 30% advise putting trash bins out of sight
- 29% advise replacing old sockets and switches
- 20% advise planting new plants in the garden or terrace
- 7% advise buying fresh flowers for inside the home
- 4% advise washing the car if it’s parked in the driveway
What’s interesting about this survey is how much the experts’ opinions differ from the home owners.
For example, only 23% of home owners think repainting the front door is important compared to 63% of experts. From a feng shui perspective, the front door is one of the top three most important areas of a home to get right (the other two are the kitchen stove and the master bedroom), so I’m definitely with the experts on this one.
I’m surprised to see there is no mention at all of smells, though, which I would place very high on the list of things to get right. And no mention of lighting either.
Copyright © Clear Space Living Ltd 2012